10 Foods to Enjoy Regularly If You Have Diabetes
Being diabetic does not mean total self-deprivation for you. If you are well informed about what to eat and in what quantities, you will find that not all foods are as bad as you may have been led to believe. While the best thing to do is follow a diet recommended by a medical professional, a person with diabetes should be able to eat almost anything they enjoy as long as they control the amount of food being consumed and maintain proper treatment. Foods that will benefit your body if you are diabetic include:
- Oatmeal: Even though diabetics are not supposed to eat carbs, oatmeal is the exception. Oatmeal is high in fiber and digests slowly which helps maintain low blood sugar levels. It is usually enjoyed in a cereal bowl but can also be an ingredient in pancakes and cookies.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, and other greens are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber and are one of the best choices for diabetics
- Apples: Diabetics are told to stay away from white foods. However, apples are another exception because they contain a substance known as pectin, which helps the body to detoxify. Apples can also help to reduce the body’s need for insulin considerably.
- Cinnamon: This spice contains MHPC, which helps fat cells to respond to insulin in order to get rid of glucose in the blood.
- Garlic: Garlic can be very effective in maintaining low blood sugar levels.
- Curd: This food stimulates the pancreas through friendly bacteria. Curd also washes the pancreas of its acids and wastes. This helps it to perform better and aids in the creation of insulin.
- Beans: Not only are they high in fiber but beans are also rich in calcium which helps burn body fat. They are also a good source of protein. You can eat them in salads, chili, soups, and many other dishes.
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in omega-3, a healthy fat that reduces the risk of a heart attack. It is also a very good source of vitamin D and goes great in salads.
- Berries: Berries are a fruit very rich in fiber and antioxidants. The antioxidants found in berries are good for the heart. They help lower blood pressure and increase levels of good cholesterol. Not only can they can be combined with oatmeal, ice cream, and salads, they also taste great all by themselves.
- Barley: Rich in beta-glucan, a soluble fiber that helps lower the levels of bad cholesterol and keeps blood sugar levels stable. Because of its abundance in fiber, barley can help you regulate your digestive system. It is also a moderate source of calcium.
If you are suffering from diabetes, these are just a few examples of the wide variety of foods from which you can choose. It is not difficult to find recipes showing how to combine them to create excellent dishes. Other examples of enjoyable foods for diabetics are peanut butter, dark chocolate, walnuts, lentils, and tuna.
- What Diabetes Supplies Should You Purchase? 29.02.2016