How to Deal With Hypoglycemic Cravings
Hypoglycemia arises when the blood sugar of a patient is abnormally low. This usually arises when there is an insulin shock or a poor diet condition. In this state, a patient may sometimes develop a strong yearning for food after relatively short intervals. If this condition is not properly managed, it can potentially harm the body. For those with this condition, it is advised that they do the following:
Avoid situations that make it more likely to not eat properly. You need to watch your diet carefully.
- Try to take your mind off craving your favorite foods. Instead do something that gives you relaxation like taking a hot bath or shower.
- If you can not stand not having something at all, then have a glass of water instead. Drink it slowly like you would a hot cup of coffee. This can help to divert your mind from the food that you have been thinking about.
- Tell yourself to stop. The cravings begin in the mind and you can stop them if you train yourself to deal with them. Ask yourself what benefit you gain and lose from craving for food. Tell yourself to do the right thing and believe it within your heart that the ultimate and best goal is to have a healthy lifestyle. Begin to say that I can do without this food. Say that the condition you are now faced with will soon come to pass.
- Begin to paint a positive image in your mind about the kind of life you would be enjoying if you begin to lead a healthier lifestyle. See yourself healthy without the foods you are craving. See yourself happy, see yourself realizing the goals that you have set for yourself to reach in this life; see yourself living another life.
- Find recommended alternatives to the guilty pleasures in your diet: the dairy, the soda, the ice cream, etc. Have them handy so that when you feel the craving you can easily make a switch for something healthier. Take these alternatives with you whenever you are travelling. This will help you avoid the feeling of being an inconvenience to others.
- Find sugar alternatives. Since sugar is not your friend instead use alternative sweeteners like Stevia and Xylitol. This way you can get the sweetness that you desire without the damaging side effects.
These are just a few tips for dealing with hypoglycemic cravings. Remember that every day is a new opportunity for you to get your health back on track. Don’t feel defeated if you fail and give into your cravings once. Just think of it as a learning opportunity for you to do better next time. Take time out to figure out what went wrong and what pushed you over the edge. The more you practice these techniques given above, the easier it will be for you to manage your cravings and soon you will not have to worry about not feeling like you are strong enough to overcome them because you will be!